Ilse,

Thanks for the great report.  Very interesting.  I
thought I had heard that the huge late 1800 (what
english speakers call victorian) fans were from when
the dresses had those huge skirts, wasp waists and
huge sleeves (called as "mutton legs" maybe?).  Since
the dresses were so oversized, the fans had to be
proportional as well. Earlier fans are smaller and so
as the later ones.

Nicole
in Guilderland, NY

--- Ilske Thomsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>