In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes

>involves
>twisting and plaiting up to 200 bobbins around each other and around a pattern
>of
>pins in the lace-making pillow.

>(Sigh!)  The inaccurate bad description of the bobbin lace technique - again!

Yes, but.... I was pulled up short (in my mind) the day I was
demonstrating at Sewing for Pleasure at the NEC - a bucks point piece -
and overheard a fairly young father explaining to his son at my shoulder
that the lace was made by wrapping the thread round the pins..... so
what was I actually doing at that moment... making a picot, and wrapping
the thread round the pin! It is easy to see where this misconception
came from. And yes, I did put them right, as I continued the work.

The exception always catches out the rule!
--
Jane Partridge