Hi all!

I am peeping out of lurk mode to put in my two cents. Having been a newbie to
several different forms of lace at different times in my life I would like to
share a little.

About 20 years ago, I took my first lace class in tatting at the community
center in the city I was living at the time. It took me years to make progress
that I was happy with. I would work at it for about 6 months, get frustrated,
take a 6 month break. Then I would start in making some headway before reaching
a wall again. I only took an 8 week beginner class. I learned to make a ring, a
chain and how to join to a picot. No finishing techniques or two shuttle,
nothing fancy.

I was encouraged by others who saw the development of my skills. Then a few
years later I found this list. Mostly what I read about was Bobbin Lace. I
hadn't a clue what that was. It was many years later that I finally took
classes and learned how to make bobbin lace. In the mean time, I was teaching
myself Richeleau and needle lace because I could find information about that at
a craft or book store, plus I had a collection of appropriate thread by that
time too, thanks to my tatting.

Eventually I learned that there were "threads" on Arachne about tatting and
even got up the courage to design tatting. I joined a beginners tatted doily
round robin. It wasn't a total success for all of the participants in our
group, but I came out with a beautiful doily. I had been afraid of joining the
round robin because I still considered myself to be a beginner. It did inspire
me to do more designing. I got encouragement and help from other tatters on the
lace list. It was wonderful!

I had seen many a flame sent and didnt want to be on the receiving end of one.
I took a chance and was thrilled in the end. It boosted my confidence in my
skills. I would encourage anyone who wants to to participate in the
opportunities we have on this list, to expand your horizons and those of others
who share our interest in lace.

I have some beautiful bookmarks from a bookmark exchange. I received bobbin
lace which I finally got to see in person and immediately decided I would have
to learn. That was years ago and I am still only a beginner at bobbin lace, but
I like to flit from one to the next challenge. I taught myself to crochet lace
and a few sweaters. Since June 2005 I taught myself to knit with the goal of
learning to knit lace. I have knit several sweaters thus far. I am feeling
ready to start into the finer yarns and needles and something beyond
stockinette and garter stitch.

I apologize for going on forever, but my point is that there are generous
people on this list who will give you a pep talk when you are discouraged.
There is a wealth of  knowledge from folks around the world on this list. I
prefer to focus on the generous, kind and helpful people who have helped me
over the years and the friends I have made. Please don't be offended by the
comments some make because there are far more of us who would be thrilled to
receive a piece of lace from someone else in the world who loves lace as much
as we do. We will love that lace that you spent precious hours working on. We
will proudly show off the wonder you sent us from whatever corner of the world
you come from. I consider my fellow spiders to be family and I hope those who
are new to the list will learn to think thus of us also.

Pollyana signing off,
Michele Hitch
Salinas, California, USA