In my early teens I ws enchanted with crochet and knitting - learned both of
them mostly from old and inadequate how-to directions.  My mother knew a little
about crochet but that was all the other help I had..  Then in 1950 (I think)
an article on bobbin lacemaking appeared in Woman's Day magazine, (I think it
cost 5 cents at that time) complete with suggestions about making a pillow and
using small plastic clothes pins for bobbins.  No longer available, these were
small straight  clothes pins - not the clip kind - and I think made for
lingerie laundry.  Fine beginners bobbins.
The first pattern I made was probably the most advanced in the article and I
was hooked permanently.  I got some lessons-by-mail from Marguerite Brooks,
bought the very few books that were available from Robn and Russ in Oregon.  I
had been a weaver for years and so knew about Robin and Russ.  It was ten years
before I ever saw another person making lace and she was a middle aged lady of
Danish descent who had learned bobbin lace while on a visit to Denmark.

Doris Southard in Iowa