Debbi wrote:
I first took lessons from a lacemaker who had learned from an older lacemaker. She had been a friend of the older lacemaker for many years and had inherited all of her supplies. The lacemaker was now very frail, and my teacher had taken her into her home to care for her. She was very sweet and very excited that I was going to learn how to make lace. My lessons were arranged to be about the time she went to bed, so I didn't get to talk much to her. I don't think I ever even wrote down her name, but now I must go through my things and see if perhaps I did. My teacher shared a pattern, a pin with a glass head, a bobbin, and a tea towel (covercloth) from this older lacemaker with me when I left England...sort of a gift from generation to generation. This older lacemaker was in her 90's in 1983.

Diana Smith wrote:
I have collected, researched and recorded pictures and information on the old
East Midlands lacemakers for 25 years. At the last picture count 179
Buckinghamshire, 90 Northamptonshire, 129 Bedfordshire and 40 from minor surrounding counties plus some unidentified. Many of the 438+ pictures are of
multiple workers.

I first learned to make BL from Mrs Vera Rigney (now in her 90s and quite frail). She learned from Mrs Helen Hoppé of Cobham, Kent who had learned from her mother Mrs Mary Ainger (1868-1930) of Cobham who in turn learned from her mother Mrs Jane Dillow of Twyford, Bucks.

I used to have a photo of Helen Ainger aged about 20, (and identified a copy of same photo in Rochester Guildhall museum some years ago) but I passed it on to a descendant of Jane Dillow's who originally made contact with The Lace Guild in his efforts to trace his lacemaking ancestors. That query was passed to me as I lived in the area. David and I exchanged quite a lot of emails at the time, but on my old system and now deleted :-( and he made quite a lot of progress with his family history. Diana, if you are interested I'll put you in touch with him, I believe that he has several photos of his lacemaking ancestors.

Brenda
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/