To: "lace" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, June 06, 2006 10:31 AM
Subject: Re: [lace]Value of lace.

I have just returned from OIDFA in Athens. In a shop selling household linens was the most beautiful table cloth in the window and we went inside to look. It was a 1 metre square white cloth with a 10 cm deep tape lace edging - hand made and the centre of the cloth was embroidered. The price was about 150 Euro's - I cannot remember exactly. What I do remember was that I thought that I certainly would not sell my handwork for that price!!! The saleslady said that the piece came from Crete as they made the finest bobbin lace in Greece. She said that there were also bigger cloths. I did buy a hand embroidered runner from Crete. So there are still people making lace and selling it!
Jeanette Fischer, Western Cape, South Africa.