On 14 Sep 2006, at 01:00, Tess Parrish wrote:

I would certainly think that any old laces in your personal collections would be free to copy, but I think one would have to be careful about modern work. Certainly, any lace made from someone else's design might not be permitted, unless the designer gives written (emailed) permission. I could be wrong about that.

This again opens up the whole can of worms about copyright!

The details of copyright law vary from country to country but in general the principal is that an artistic work is copyrighted from its creation (you may need to register the copyright if you want to bring about a law suit) and only the copyright holder can grant permission to someone else to copy that work, other than for personal study.

OK, that's straightforward enough with pictures and diagrams. The lace pattern itself; ie the arrangement of lines and dots on a piece of paper would certainly be copyrighted, but is an interweaving of threads, albeit based on those lines and dots, a *copy* of that pattern?

Answers to the group please!

Tess, if there is anything in my lace gallery that you would like to use for the Professor's site please let me know and I'll send you more detailed photos. Everything there is my own design and work so all the copyright is mine.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/lace/lacepics/lacepics.html

Brenda
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/