Tania wrote:
  In Denmark, when you set a nice table with more than one
course, you first put down the dinner plate then this "napkin"? and then the
soupbowl or the appetizer plate. The napkin? is often crotcheted, tatted,
needlelace or bobbinlace, not so popular anymore, but the original use was to
avoid the plates scrambling on each other and prevent chips and scratches.
Hope that is clear as mud ;-) The thing can be circular or square and is
usually about 4-5 inches in diameter/side.

Gosh, I can't imagine putting a
piece of lace between a dinner plate and a soup bowl, not with my messy guys!!
Bad enough to make a placemat with lace on it as that might get messed up, but
I did make a set of 6 for my sister a few years ago.  They only had a tape
lace corner on each of them.
Janice

Janice Blair
Crystal Lake, 50 miles