Diana wrote:

<Help needed - I've just purchased a beautiful old inscribed lace bobbin made
by James Compton of Deanshanger, Northants.
My request is does anyone know of a bobbin maker or wood turner, preferably
in the UK, who is capable of the workmanship necessary to fit a replacement?>

You could try asking what any of the following well known makers could do:

Stephen Pearce: http://homepages.tesco.net/~stephen.pearce/

Chris Parsons: http://www.lace-bobbins.co.uk/

or Stuart Johnson: Lace Bobbins
Wide range of bobbins made in wood, bone, and Rainbow wood
3 Broad St, Warwick CV34 4LT.
Tel/Fax: (+44) 1926 402965; e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Jean in Poole, Dorset, UK