Bobbin Lace Survey

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> As I sit here yet again avoiding the final sewing of my current lace
 piece (the first of two interlocked hearts, only 12 pairs for goodness
 sake!), I find myself pondering on what aspect of bobbin lace people
 dislike the most.  I know lacemakers who profess to dislike most - or
 even hate and avoid at all costs - each of the following items.  As you
 will have gathered, I fit into the second bunch though I am quite happy
 doing numbers 1 and 3.  So which category do you fit in?  (Sorry
 needlelacers and tatters!)  Or is there something else that should be on the
 list?  I will happily summarise the responses to the list in a couple of
 weeks so feel free to answer privately.  There are no wrong answers

> 1) Winding bobbins
> 2) Final sewing together
> 3) Tallies (leaves, squares, triangles, any other type)

I don't mind winding bobbins and use my Newey winder for longer lengths,
but use a piece of thread for a yard or more, otherwise I do it by hand.

I don't mind doing tallies.  I must have done my 1,000 by now and they
hold no fear for me but I still manage to get some holly leaves amongst
them.  No big deal, just undo it, let the bobbin hang down for a while
so the thread gets the kinks out.

I do not dislike sewing it together.  I think I did a reasonable job on the last
piece of Beds with about 30+ bobbins meeting from opposite sides using
Jean Leader's method of knot tying and making rolls behind the work.
When I made a wedding hankie in Buckspoint I joined it okay but I chickened
out of sewing it onto the fabric as my hand sewing looks horrible.  I
was fortunate and it was hand carried to Europe where it was sewn on
professionally.  DD still has to get married, it looks like that will happen
next year, but I get to use it for display purposes until then. Hope she waits
until
after IOLI convention, then I might be able to put it in the
display room.

I do dislike pricking for something like Buckspoint but I will do it, but
when I am working on my own designs I tend to put pins in as I go.  Sometimes
the design works itself out on the pillow.  Something that looked right on
the computer does not work in real life.  What I really dislike is taking out
a forest of pins and seeing a mistake!

Next time I need to sew an edge onto fabric I will try the sewing machine.
A lacemaker at my guild did such a nice job with the machine that I had a
hard time telling how she had done it, but then my eyesight is not that good.

Janice

Janice Blair
Crystal Lake, 50 miles northwest of Chicago, Illinois, USA
http://jblace.wordpress.com/
http://www.lacemakersofillinois.org/