Not only are lace days and groups getting smaller and older, orchid societies and shows are too. Again, a matter of availability. With so much coming from China and Taiwan, things are rapidly and not necessarily for the better IMHO.

Linda, the string-a-holic in Oregon where we are expecting 100 on Sunday (shudder!).

PS As we have several new members of the list I'd like to suggest you give us your location - it helps us help you with information and sources as well helps us get to know you!

----- Original Message ----- From: "C Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'Arachne list'" <lace@arachne.com>
Sent: Monday, June 23, 2008 7:26 PM
Subject: RE: [lace] Declining Lace day Numbers

Hi Lacers,

Well, when Wal-mart stops selling fabric - which seems to be happening at my
branch, (only one fabric rack left from a whole department of fabric) the
only fabric in town will be the Fabric Store, which is now specializing in
only quilting cottons....we will pretty much see the end of an era...

I will have to travel at least 30 miles to find fabrics, which usually
means, to find threads as well.  We will all be using mail order.  And our
postage just went up another penny for first class postage and now there are
size restrictions on the envelopes and packages as well.

We are entering a new era.

Susie Johnson
Morris Illinois where we are having a nice cool evening -
But the sun is being to parch the grass.