Hi Debora

Borrow a pair of hands to hold the skeins whilst you wind. The person holding the skein just needs to allow the yarn to come off one side at a time. My husband learned that skill as a child, and he's not from a crafting family, it's not too difficult.

Winding the ball by hand doesn't really take much longer than winding with a mechanical winder, it's dealing with the skein that's more difficult without a swift or human helper.

Brenda

I went on a shopping spree and came back with 14 skeins of lovely
lace-weight 2-ply alpaca (700 grams of wool). Problem is, I have no
winders or swifts to wind it...
Have any of you come up with a solution that does not involve
stretching the skein over the back of a chair and winding it by hand?
My last recourse would be to borrow the tools from my lace-making
fiends, but that's two months away and I want to play with my yarns now! ;-)
Thanks for any tips and suggestions,
Debora Lustgarten
Toronto, Canada

Brenda in Allhallows, Kent