Again, sorry for cross posting but it may or may not be a lace related object
that I asked Malvary to post for me on Friday evening.

Unusually for arachne, we didn't get an answer that seemed to fit the
problem.  The most likely seemed to be that it might be a thread holder, with
removable wires to hold the reels.

When we looked at it again though it seemed to be unlikely to be that for the
following reasons
1) the holes in the discs are only about an inch apart, so only smallish
spools of thread would fit.
2) if this was the case, why was it so tall in relation to the hole spacing.
3) the holes and grooves in the underside and edge of the top disc (where I
thought the thread ends could come out through) were quite rough, and the
grooves didn't always line up with the holes, so I don't know what they are for.
4) the holes were near the edges of the flat surface of the discs, so the
spools would have hung out over the edge of the base.
5) the holes were only very small, so would the missing rods have been strong
enough to hold the spools without bending, particularly if more than one
spool was fitted on each to fill the space height-wise.
6) the rods would have accidently lifted up out of the holes easily, allowing
the spools to fall off.

The other ideas I am afraid we rejected for the following reasons:
Thread holder while winding; it's too big (a similar size to the bobbin
display stands ie from memory now, approx 6" discs, 1" thick post and about 8"
tall) and the top should be glued in place.

Hat pin stand/ear-ring holder; the hole spacing is a bit wide for the first,
and why holes in the base for the latter.  For both why the holes in the edges
of the top disc.

Hair weaving; we felt that for this it should be like a miniature marudai,
and have 'legs' around the edge and a central hole in the top disc for the
woven
braid to go down through, unless we misunderstood what Ilske meant.

Pat Read was very disappointed that we couldn't help, but I said if anyone
else has any ideas I would let her know, so please have a look at the webshot
photos and send me your thoughts.

Jacquie in Lincolnshire