From: owner-l...@arachne.com [mailto:owner-l...@arachne.com] On Behalf Of
Sally Schoenberg
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2009 6:19 PM
To: lace@arachne.com
Subject: [lace] mangling linen

First, wet the piece of linen (lace or handwoven fabric), damp out most
of the water by rolling the item loosely in a cotton towel. Lay the lace
flat on a hard surface, roll it hard with a rolling pin, let it dry where it
is. The idea is to flatten while applying pressure. When it is dry, voila!
The linen lace has a "linen hand", the threads are shiny and supple, and the
design just pops out.  My lace has never needed any ironing after mangling.
My handwovens sometimes do need a touch
of ironing.

Most of my dishtowels are linen from Germany, they can be quite long, and I
can't mangle them flat in one go.  So, I loosely roll up the top and start
the mangle from the bottom.  When I've finished a section, I pull it down
and let it hang straight from the edge of the kitchen counter while I unroll
from the top.  Mangle another section, pull down, unroll the top, and mangle
some more.

I've never done a large tablecloth.  My mangling place is a kitchen island,
so I could hang parts over different edges of the counter.  I would
definitely mangle it but I think it would take some experimenting to figure
it out.  I've seen electric mangles and the width can be small.  I've heard
that large linen items are folded and mangled in that case but I haven't any
direct experience with it.

Peggy Osterkamp has a section in her weaving book III on finishing linen.
She describes mangling in detail, and she also talks about pounding linen.
I've never
seen anyone do that so I don't know anything about pounding as a finishing
process.  I also have a Vav magazine (the Swedish handweaving magazine) with
an article about pounding linen, with photos.

I had made quite a bit of linen lace years ago but was very disappointed in
its appearance and I quit using linen thread for lace.  When I first heard
about mangling in a weaving class, a big light bulb lit up inside my head,
or should I say, exploded inside my head. As soon as I walked back in my
door at home, I got that lace out, and mangled it. That finishing step was
exactly what my lace was missing.  I'm really very
pleased now with my linen lace and I'm using linen thread again.

One more story, if you can bear with me...  I mangled some linen lace at the
Montreal IOLI convention, if I remember correctly.  The lace had just come
off the pillow.  I showed the unmangled lace to EVERYONE I could find.  I
wanted witnesses!  I mangled it during the teacher showcase.  When it dried,
again I stopped everyone I encountered, showed them the finished lace, and
invited them to feel it.  So, if any of you need a testimonial, surely
someone on the list remembers that lace!

Sally
New Mexico