Hello Delores

I have a 1950s book "The Identification of Textile Fibres" which goes into great detail about microscopic and chemical tests to distinguish one fibre from another, but unless you have your own laboratory to hand....

If you are just trying to decide between linen and cotton the best thing is to look at it with a powerful magnifier, at least x8. Untwist the plies and then untwist a single ply and the individual fibres will separate out. If it's cotton none of the fibres will be more than about an inch or so long, if it's linen they will be much longer, up to about a metre/yard in length. Also spun linen/flax tends to have slubs in it whilst cotton is generally much more uniform. Linen thread is nearly always spun in the S direction, cotton can be either.

Is there a label on this cone? or anything printed onto the cone itself?

Brenda

Could someone tell me how to test a thread to see if it might be linen? I have a large cone of thread I believe is linen but would like to know for
sure.

Brenda in Allhallows, Kent
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/index.html