Certainly Miss Channer as the daughter of a country parson would have fitted into this category. Part of her education took place in Switzerland but she went on to learn the craft of lacemaking to the extent that she became the 'expert' most lacemakers would recognise by name. She was a member of the Midlands Lace Association but as far as I'm aware none of the other 'ladies' of the committee could actually make lace. Mrs Georgina Roberts wife of the vicar of Spratton and her daughter Margaret were both lacemakers, and of course the book Lace-making in the Midlands was written by Miss Channer and Miss Roberts. Mrs Roberts also produced a book of instructions for lacemaking with the help of the lacemakers of Spratton.

Diana in Northants

----- Original Message ----- From: "Regina Haring" <rmhar...@optimum.net>
To: "Arachne" <lace@arachne.com>
Sent: Friday, April 03, 2009 6:59 PM
Subject: Re: [lace] Luton museum/Bedford

But surely there were women with leisure enough to make lace for pleasure, as we do? And so a scene showing a nicely dressed woman who knew how to make more than one kind of lace is not unrealistic in my opinion.

The awful picture of poor women and children who could only keep body and soul together by laboring under difficult conditions until their eyes gave out is thankfully not the whole story of our favorite pasttime.

Regina
New York

----- Original Message ----- From: "jeanette" <jeane...@maxitec.co.za>