How about we help by suggesting what a newcomer to lace might take - seeing
as it is your question :p

My free advice is to take Alex Stillwell's Illustrated Dictionary of
Lacemaking. I think you will find it pleasantly straightforward, as a
dictionary, certainly involved as regards the cross-referencing, as
complicated as you care to make your study of it <g> and plenty of material
upon which to muse, as you bide your time until rescue, when you can start
on the many lace projects this one book will inspire :D

Susan wrote (in another message)

> Since I am new to bobbin lace, I cannot answer the question of what I would
> take, but I think it would be something very complicated and involved, to
> fill my time.

--
Bev in Shirley BC, near Sooke on beautiful Vancouver Island, west coast of
Canada