I collect, and have studied, old lacemaking equipment used in the East Midlands and I've never seen a winder with this configuration, usually old bobbin winders are used sideways on with the wheel handle to the right and the cup to hold the bobbin on the left - I have three all like this in my collection. Also I've seen very early film footage of a worker winding bobbins with this system.

On the 'Ipswich' winder the cup looks a slightly different coloured wood - maybe a replacement gone wrong ;o) Mind you I can see the logic in using it the way its set up.

Diana in Northants