Holly Van Sciver sells estate bobbins, which means she has to put a value
on them, taking into account whether they are antiques, or whether they are
newly made, and possibly depreciated. Perhaps, for a fee, she could
evaluate the  bobbins, based on sales that she has made, ie. what they call in
the
business,  "comps". Perhaps a better value would be what she would pay for
them than the  price that she realizes on sale, after taking her commission.

Another route would be to print out the bobbin section of her catalogue and
 use it as a comparison to establish the retail value of various bobbins at
this  time. Perhaps you can divide them into "antiques" and modern made and
establish  an "average" per bobbin price using the catalogue, of perhaps
$10 or so.

Possibly a better idea would be to agree to split the bobbin collection
down the middle and let your husband have half of them to dispose of on the
market as he likes. I am certain he couldn't object to this if he believes
his  half to be worth $5000. You could then have $5000 worth from the rest of
the  marital assets, such as the bank account, instead of the bobbins. You
could put  them on the floor and take turns picking, for total fairness. Flip
a coin to see  who goes first.

Devon

In a message dated 5/20/2009 5:36:14 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,