I was interested to read Brian's analysis, since he has actually tracked
these things. Yes, it was certainly an interesting test case when the
Springetts, who have an exceptionally fine, and I would imagine, well
provenanced
collection of bonafide antique bobbins, not to mention the panache  of the
items having belonged to David Springett, an excellent bobbin maker, and
scholar, failed to succeed at auction.

I am not a dealer, but I was named in the will of an elderly lacemaker to
assist her heirs in realizing money for her lace things after her death,
since,  unless very carefully marketed, such things are almost universally put
out for  the garbage man as worthless. (Alternative valuation to $10,000,
$0.00)
In fact, I am sure that I am not the only person who has actually  been
given lace equipment by people who are moving to retirement  communities and
need to divest themselves of bulky items and cannot find a  buyer. Much as
they would like to sell the items, since none of  them are wealthy, they can
find no buyers within a reasonable time.  I  always take the profferred item,
on the off chance that someday there will be a  young person who would like
to learn lace, but will be unable to put out  the money to start learning
the craft. Sometimes, too, the family of  a deceased lacemaker will take the
lace items to the lace group and try to  sell them to the friends of the
deceased lacemaker. This often takes months,  wears down the patience of
whomever is responsible for putting the items out,  and the sales are often to
people who are buying the used pieces as sentimental  remembrances of their
deceased friend, and even then, they will pay only a  minimal price for the
friend's item.

Selling a collection of bobbins, mostly working type, but with a few
antiques, or painted ones, is no easy task. The person who undertakes to sell
the "estate" bobbins or lace pillows has to haul them around to lace days  and
lay them all out prettily. Thus, they have to know when and where lace days
 are, and be invited to deal at them, sometimes paying for the opportunity
to  sell. I really can only think of a couple of people in the US who would
have the  infrastructure to provide such a service, and I imagine that even
they pick and  choose the bobbins that it seems likely that they can sell
and refuse to take  others. Selling a collection of bobbins, many of which
will say things like  Metro Chapter Lace Day, November 1995 on them, is a
formidable chore, for which  the dealer is entitled to a fair amount of the
sales
price. Suffice it to say,  it is not easy to find a buyer for a used bobbin
in the US, where we  have only about 1500 members of our lace organization.
One can attempt to sell  bobbins on ebay, and while it is a larger public
to which you are addressing  yourself, it is not as focused. Also, many
lacemakers are not computer savvy,  may not have computers and may not want to
deal with strangers, and reveal  financial information to pay pal. When Holly
is selling estate items, she is  putting pictures on the internet, and
printing them in catalogues, and these are  "one off" items, expensive to
advertise, but not very valuable to sell.  Commemorative bobbins for small lace
days that you haven't attended have no  appeal whatsoever to another buyer, at
least not to me. Likewise, interest in  unusual Australian woods is not
something that I hear being widely discussed  here, and without full
documentation of what the wood and maker are, ie. the  equivalent of the
"vintage
Barbie doll in the original box" are really just  another odd shaped stick. You
may like Eleanor of Acquitane, but I prefer  Mary Queen of Scots. Like old
theatre programs, these bobbins may have emotional  value to you, but they
don't to anyone else.

Now we are in a recession. The bobbin buying public (small as it is) is
holding back on purchases. For the most part, we are over 50 years old, a
segment of the population that has been hit hard by losses in their retirement
funds. We are also women, already disadvantaged economically, and likely to
cut  back on purchases for ourselves in order to finance children's
education,  etc.
The lacemakers who took up lace making in the craft revival of the 1970s
are, sadly, dying. These people, such as my friend, may have thousands of
bobbins, which are being dumped on the second hand market. Meanwhile, our
craft is not being taken up by anyone young. There is  no younger  generation
of lacemakers coming onto the scene to buy the equipment that is  being sold
by the families of deceased lacemakers. The membership numbers of the
International Old Lacers have been remarkably static for the last 20 years. A
great many of our members are, in fact, this group that began in the 1970s,
and  many of them were in their 50's when they started. Not only are they not
among the potential buyers for nicely made bobbins, but they represent a
huge  watershed of lace equipment that is about to hit the second hand market
depressing bobbin prices even more.
To be totally honest, if your husband thinks your bobbin collection is
worth $10,000, I think you should insist that he take it as part of  the
marital settlement, it is the best offer that you are going to get for it.  You
can replace it for a fraction of the cost, and he can ride around in a van  to
lace days trying to sell it or put it on ebay, in which case you could  buy
it from him for much less.
Those of us who buy bobbins at lace days do it as a spur of the moment
indulgence, often carried away with the fun of the event. We may  like handling
certain bobbins while we work with them, but if we think that  these
collectibles are increasing in value, we are deluding ourselves. I can  tell
you,
that my family is eying my bobbin collection with total fear as they
contemplate what they would have to do to liquidate it. Suffice it to say, they

would never get a fraction of what I paid for it.
Devon