di...@coalole.demon.co.uk writes:

> I was going to use it in dressmaking but if it's hand made I think I
> would be better making a pricking from the lace and working individual
> lengths
> to make the garment I wanted.

Why????

If was good enough to use on the garment when you thought it was machine
made, what makes it not suitable now you know it's handmade?  Or why would you
want to spend hundreds of hours to make the piece of lace you already have?

Just because its hand made doesn't mean you can't cut it.  It won't fall to
bits any more or any less than machine lace.  Surely I'm not reading your
post to mean that you are planning to keep stopping and starting to make
multiple shorter pieces.  Looks like a potential UFO for no reason.

Get on and enjoy the dressmaking, enjoy the lace and say a silent thank you
to another lacemaker who earnt some money making it, and spend your time
enjoying making a piece of lace that is yours, not a copy of someone else's.

Jacquie in Lincolnshire