Hello All!  Hooray!  The fan handles arrived yesterday but I didn't want to
make a report until I tried a little beading experiment.  The handles are wood,
1/2" diameter & painted black.  The handle is also knurled, creating sort of a
segmented/bamboo effect.  There is a hole at the bottom end for a tassel.  The
metal ring is a rounded shape but not circular in that it does not have a
consistent diameter.  They might be hand made because there is a 1/4"
difference in diameter between the 2 handles that I purchased (9-1/4" vs
9-1/2").  The ends of the metal ring are plunged into the notched end of the
handle & seem to be sturdy, perhaps affixed with glue?  The metal is silvery
grey, maybe aluminum?  As to the bead idea, I used Mill Hill petite beads &
28ga wire to embellish the handle using the same technique I've used on
bobbins:  the wire goes all the way thru & meets with a couple of twists on the
opposite side.  I don't know the size, maybe 15.  Regular seed beads (size 11
 ) seem like they would be too big.  Now to find/draft a suitable pattern!
There are some lovely round mats out there--somthing frilly/girly/vintage-y
would be smashing.  Working directly on the ring seems like a good method
because of the variable sizing unless a pattern/template was made to fit the
space.  Hope this helps anyone else who has an interest.  Sincerely, Susan
Hottle, Erie, PA