Dear Louise,
Thank you for pointing this out. I guess that, while everything I need to
know, I learned in kindergarten, this is one part of the kindergarten
curriculum  that has grown hazy in my mind in the years since. At one point, I
knew it was  the Rappahannock, but all my Washington myths seem to have merged
in my mind,  and an internet search reveals that a lot of other people are
merging their  Washington myths as well.
Fortunately, I had not designed a lace pattern showing a coin not flying
over the Potomac. So, it is unnecessary for me to institute a redesign to
show a  coin not flying over the Rappahannock. Apparently, the only basis for
the story  is a remark by Martha Washington's grandson to the effect that
George  Washington threw "a piece of slate" about the size of a silver dollar
across the  Rappahannock. As your experience with coin throwing over the
Rappahannock  illustrates, it seems to be something that a lot of people can
do.
Why this  particular feat has been attributed to Washington as an example
of his  superiority to other humans, I don't know. Actually, crossing the
Delaware  River to Trenton, in winter, repeatedly, shows greater stamina.

Perhaps, it would be better, then, to concentrate on the fact that
Washington had a set of wooden teeth. Oh, darn, I just checked Wikipedia and he

didn't have a set of wooden teeth.

<<Washington had several different sets  of dentures, only one of which is
still complete - and the complete set is here  at Mount Vernon. Our set is
made from human & cow teeth and elephant ivory,  set in a lead base, with
heavy metal springs. Because of the way they would have  fit within his mouth,
we do not believe that Washington wore this set when  eating or talking.
They were probably entirely "ornamental," for occasions like  making silent
ceremonial appearances or having his portrait  painted.

He also owned other, more "functional"  dentures, which could have been
worn while eating or  talking.

During the last ten years of Washington's  life (1789-1799), a highly
respected New York dentist, Dr. John Greenwood, made  for the president at
least
two complete denture sets and several partial sets.  In addition, in 1796 a
man named James Gardette made Washington a set of  dentures from
hippopotamus ivory.

The story of wooden teeth is interesting but alas according to Steve  Swank
the curator of the National Museum of Dentistry no proof of wooden teeth
ever being made in America exists. This is just one of the fanciful myths
about  the first President of the United States.>>
Actually, I find it more interesting that Washington had a set of teeth
made  from hippopotamus ivory. I wonder why that fact never made it to
kindergarten.
Hmm. Liz, were you looking to make a theme based pattern for Gros Point, or
 for Bedfordshire, since I know you are teaching both? Perhaps a nice Gros
Point  of cherry blossoms and roses on a jabot for a Supreme Court judge. I
think  turkeys and bald eagles in Bedfordshire, ala Thomas Lester.
Devon