Gentle Spiders,

So, yesterday afternoon, Devon sent a (private) message:

> I was having one of my long to-do's with Lyn Baily of Lancaster, PA, on the
> subject of lace in early America, which is, like early America, a pretty
> unexplored region. [...] Lyn continued to surf the internet and came up with
> this intriguing hit. There is a person, employed by Arrogant Frenchman
> Productions http://www.arrogantfrenchman.com/ who is going to impersonate an
> exiled French lace merchant, who has fled the French Revolution and is going
> to try to help out people in the colonies by employing them in lacemaking and
> selling to the gentlefolk. But he has yet to make the latter's acquaintance.
> This is to happen at Colonial Williamsburg on Oct. 2 and 3, 9-5. I feel
> certain that there is the germ of an article for the Bulletin in this. I just
> don't know how to capitalize on it. I don't think I can go to Wiliamsburg. I
> don't know if he would want to write an article. Any thoughts?
>
> http://www.pinetreebarn.com/williamsburgfestival/distinguishedguests.html#lacemaker
>  describes the character that is being assumed for this day.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/arrogantfrenchman/sets/72157603580376569/
> actually has pictures of him making bobbin lace and strips of bobbin lace.

Williamsburg is too far for me to make a one day trip and still observe an
exhibit closely enough to report on, so I passed it on to "Our Woman in
Williamsburg", Su Carter (BTW, all the people mentioned here -- Devon, Lyn, and
Su -- are Arachneans; isn't it nice?). Who promptly replied:

> Not here!!! It's in Ohio:
>
> Pine Tree Barn
> 4374 Shreve Road
> Wooster, Ohio 44691
>
> Sat Oct. 2 & Sun., Oct 3
> Colonial Williamsburg Festival - Colonial militia living history encampment,
> the finest in Ohio artists and crafts, music, “proper” food, and
> presentations on Decorating Williamsburg Style, including floral
> demonstrations. All licensed Williamsburg products 10% off. Handcrafted 18th
> c. furniture on sale.[...]
>
> Sorry, can we find someone in Wooster, Ohio -- I'd love to hear a good report
> . . .

I'm planning to retire as the BL Editor of the Bulletin as soon as possible,
but I too would like to see a report of the not-so-arrogant-anymore Frenchman
pushing lacemaking into America (if no longer The Colonies <g>), so I took
myself off to the IOLI Directory. There is an IOLI member in Wooster listed,
but I don't know her. And my grasp of Ohio's geography is too weak to determine
whether "Our Woman in Ohio" (Ruth Rocker) is within a reasonable driving
distance of the event...

Ruth? Or anyone else in Ohio? Any chance someone could go, take some photos and
write a report for the Bulletin?

--
Tamara P Duvall                            http://t-n-lace.net/