yeoowww!

My worst accident was in the last 15 minutes of the last day of the
week-long
(mornings) Honiton class at the Arachne convention in Nottingham.
It was my
first attempt at Honiton. I had struggled with the fine threads,
had finished
the first leaf and the circle of the flower, and was
finally doing my first
sewing, glad that I was going to do that at least
before the class ended. And
the weaver pair threads broke--both of them,
right at the point of the sewing.

I sat there with the two bobbins in my
hand, thinking hard to myself that I was
grown up and would not, WOULD NOT,
cry over a couple of broken threads. As I sat
motionless, the lacemakers on
each side of me noticed my stillness, looked over,
and gasped. The pair of
gasps attracted the attention of the lacemakers on their
far sides, who
looked around them at the broken threads in my hand and gasped.
Those gasps
attracted the attention...and so forth all the way around the circle
until
everyone was looking at my broken threads in horror! At that point the
combination of drama and sympathy cured my despair and we all had a good laugh
at such a dramatic ending to the class. Not physical pain, but oh it was
heartbreaking for a minute there.

I still have that little scrap of Honiton,
and am concentrating on my Flanders!!

Nancy
Connecticut, USA