Yes - that sort of thing is appalling.
To avoid it, I keep my computer's volume control muted all the time, except for those rare occasions when I definitely want to listen to something. I discovered the blessings of silence as a "side-effect" of having it muted when I was working in libraries and archives; now I don't even have to put up with those silly little dings and dongs when my computer is collecting mail or closing down, or (most infuriating of all!) thinks I've made a mistake. I don't know how your screen is laid out, but mine has a little picture of a loud-speaker among the icons in the lower left-hand corner. If I double-click on that, then the noise options come up and I select/deselect 'mute all': job done.
Wishing you peace - Linda Walton,
(from the quiet suburbs of High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, U.K.).

Sue wrote:
I went on Arachne  webshots to look at the fans but I was deafened by the
horrible loud ad music attached which was very offputting, is this something
new? And can anybody tell me how to get rid of it I tried with no success
and had to give up looking at the new additions because it made me want to
SCREAM.

Sue M Harvey

Norfolk UK