Dear Alex,

You addressed the question to me about Ecozone  Ecoballs.  I am not a
chemist.  I write for the person who has  family lace or newly-purchased old
lace
and wants to clean it.   Nothing is completely foolproof, because
lacemakers and lace  collectors are all over the world, living in varied
climates and
 different home circumstances, and are intent on washing a variety of
different laces.

I suggest making an inquiry of the conservation department at a major
museum with textile collections.  My gut feeling is that these new  commercial
products are OK for day-to-day clothing and home  furnishings, which most of
us do not keep or collect for long periods of  time.  My concern would be
fifty years or more, and for items that  will be put away in storage for
lengthy periods of time.  With all the  different fibers and fiber combinations
being used for lacemaking,  there could be other reasons for being careful
about using something not yet  museum-tested.  (I am sure 19th C. ladies would
not have washed precious  lace in the water available then, if they had
known what we know now  about iron, manganese, etc. which have destroyed so
many of their  lace treasures.)  Climate, water quality, and gentleness are of
extreme importance, and the real life combinations vary widely.   There are
many caveats.

Not everyone cares how long their laces survive -- they've said so  quite
loudly on Arachne.  My advice is not written for  them.

Manufacturers of new cleaning products are not thinking about
preservation.  They make claims that sound nice.  For  maximum profit, they are
marketing to the widest possible  customer base.  They also have the freedom to
change formulas at will,  and may not reveal these changes.  I write about the
product Procter  & Gamble manufactures -- with very specific customers in
mind:  ORVUS.

Jeri Ames  in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center

In a message dated 9/16/2012 4:46:50 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,