 From:
"jeria...@aol.com" <jeria...@aol.com>
To: lace@arachne.com
Sent: Monday,
September 24, 2012 10:22 AM
Subject: Re: [lace] Bayeux Tapestry in needlelace
The jury is out on who made the Bayeux Tapestry.  The French claim it,  and
so do the English.  I have 5 books written by various scholars on this
subject (on the embroidery side of my library).  There are many more, but
this
is enough for me to collect.  There is also a just-published 2012
fictional account that takes place in England.  Too spicy to lend or  review.
Why
do today's authors think it is necessary to add these scenes  to a story
that
is so fascinating it does not need this additional "embroidered"
fiction?

Referencing the Jan Messent book:  She designed and stitched her
imagined
version of the missing 8 foot panel, which is published in "The
Bayeux
Tapestry Embroiderers' Story".  I believe it is on display at
Bayeux.   Jan,
too, has imagined where it was made and by whom - in the text
of her  book.
(The male scholars do not seem to have much knowledge of
embroidery.)

I, too, saw the Smithsonian photograph of the needlelace
version while  in
Caen.  It is incredible.

Patsy, I think this may have
been made in a atelier by many lacemakers
trained in the same school, in
where?  Italy?  France?   America?     I have
some large (but not this
large)  needlelaces that seem to have been from
ateliers.  They were not
signed,  making it very difficult to trace.  However, I
do research on the
story being illustrated, and other locations/mediums
illustrating the same
mythology (or whatever).

Catherine, The fact that lace was rarely signed and
dated has been a
problem for scholars and museum personnel ever since large
museums were
established in the 19th and 20th centuries.   Lace traveled,
either legally or
smuggled.  Lace was often made as part laces -  elements by
different lacemakers
(deliberately, so that they knew very  little about the
entire design and
techniques).  The concept of  documentation would not have
entered the minds
of uneducated poor lacemakers or  the agents who brought
their laces to
market.  By the 19th C., lace  made to be sold in department
stores did bear
labels.  The owners usually  removed them, never thinking
that there would be
provenance interest by  subsequent owners.

Jeri Ames in
Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center
--------------------------------------

In a message dated 9/23/2012 5:33:11
P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
kar...@cox.net writes:

Years ago I visited the
Bayeux Tapestry in France.  I   believe the
Tapestry was made by many
different people.  I wonder if the  same can be said for
the needlelace
piece?

Patsy A. Goodman, Chula  Vista, CA, USA
----  Catherine Barley
<catherinebar...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> I was  fortunate enough to see the
photograph in Caen this summer and
>  hopefully someone may be able to throw
some light on the questions 'who,

> when' where and why'?  If only these
antiques laces could speak  and tell
us
> who they belonged to, designer and
maker and if made for  a special
occasion.
> This just shows how important
it is to include  these details with our
lace,
> for the benefit of future
generations.
> Subject: [lace] Bayeux Tapestry in  needlelace
> >I am still
looking for answers to the who, when, where and why  about
> > the Bayeux
Tapestry in needle lace. Now my blog is posted  on the
> > Smithsonian
website: