I have an InStand which I use as a lace table.  As minimalist a lace table as
I have every seen.  Satisfied customer only.  InStand.com, or Amazon.  I’m
thinking of a place like Union Park off Union Square in New York City, lined
with benches.  Such a thing would not take up much room.  At the library,
it’s on a table, and unless there is a dearth of seats, I forsee little
difficulty.  The vagrants sleep in the seats in the basement, so going to the
tables on the main floor shouldn’t be too much a problem.  And I have very
little in common with them in appearance.  One can only try, in any event.
That is the point.  And I do think that a minimalist approach, JUST a travel
pillow, nothing else, will help to keep you there, but also will not
intimidate the public by the idea that this takes a lot of equipment.
Especially in America, this will most likely be the first view of such lace
being made.  And if I have a book open in the library, that might help.  I
also think the lack of advertising, sales, profit, makes a big difference.  I
think your point system is accurate.  So, doing this in a place where you are
known should be easier.  But, again, it is worth a shot.  Nothing ventured,
nothing gained.  If you do nothing, you have no chance to do good.

As for the paid for public space, I’m not sure that’s the issue,
precisely.  If people are waiting for your seat, which will make more money
for someone, then there’s a problem, especially in the US, where there is
the tacit idea that once your meal is over, you’re out of there.  That’s
not the way it is in European venues, and that might be to the lacemaker’s
advantage if not abused.  Parks and libraries are open to the public, and
there is no limit on how long you can be there.  If you are not impeding
traffic more than others sitting in the park, I think the chance for trouble
is less.  People who want to stop and look are not my problem, as I’m not
going to gather a crowd.  People stop for a minute or two, mostly.  lrb

Devon wrote:
My suspicion is that a lady sitting on a park bench tatting, crocheting,
knitting or doing needle lace, which is held in the hand is tolerated, but a
lady setting up a table will not be. The table is sort of a "structure".

I imagine is an informal point system also, with consideration for the amount
of gray hair you have, how unthreatening you are, whether you look like you
are selling something, how much you impede foot traffic, whether you know the
cop, librarian, etc.

However my husband disputes my "structure" theory, claiming that people take
easels into parks to paint all the time. He thinks the library is the harder
venue. I am inclined to think the park the more dicey one. Both places
probably have a lot of arcane rules intended to keep vagrants out that might
have to be invoked against lacemakers in order to maintain the illusion of
impartiality.

On cruise ships and hotels, you are actually paying for the "public" spaces
you are occupying. Is there a distinction?