Dear Noelene,
This is exciting. I actually know the answer. It sometimes happens as in making a clothstitch frame around something, that you're ending up putting your pairs of bobbins with one bobbin pointing right, and the other bobbin pointing left, instead of both bobbins pointing in the same direction, using an even number of pairs. When beginning something like this, it is difficult to maintain tension, as there are no pins involved. So you put this wooden piece across the threads, perpendicular to the direction of the threads, and pin it down tightly. Then you use your workers across these threads, usually in cloth stitch (ctc) for a bit. You can then remove the bridge and go in the other direction as well. I actually got one of these as a favor at a lace convention. You can do without it, but it's a neat little gizmo. I use it when I am making a label using Ulrike Voelker's little Flanders book. You can make pretty signs with letters. Ingenious.

http://langendorfkloeppel.de/en/bobbinaccessories.html is the url for the item in question.

Lyn in Lancaster, where the weather is typical March, all over the place. But the rain has stopped, and we're in for some cool windy weather, perhaps clouds, perhaps rain. Got 2 inches 5 cm of rain today.

Noelene wrote:
On the langendorfkloeppel site, I have spotted a bobbin lace accessory
called a "Fadenbrucke" which my Google Translate can't cope with, and which
is described as "an indispensable help for the beginning of lace with open
threads".

It looks like a needle with an eye at both ends - there are two sizes, one
30cm and the other 50 cm long.