I have had similar issues with wire, and checked in with a wire maker.  I
found out that the core wire measurement is what is used.  For example, a
supa wire which is a copper core, at least one coat of color, and then a
coat of silver is still gauged at the copper core size. Two or more
coatings definitely change the diameter of fine wires.  I wonder if
something similar could happen in pin manufacturing?  Certainly, it could
just be the usual factors like inconsistent manufacture, supplier
variation, etc.
Kim