The only advantages I can see to using the sticky film is that  you can
stick the paper pattern on the card with it, and, arguably, it  might be useful
to keep the color of the card from transferring to the lace.  Many years
ago I found myself trying to rehydrate threads by putting a damp  cloth over
them to make a little vapor tent, and some color from the card  transferred
to the lace. Also, sometimes a piece may be on a pillow for a long,  long
time, enduring many humid summers.

But, for the most part when I am at home, and I want to do a  little sample
or something that I anticipate finishing quickly, I print the  pattern
directly to a 110 lb weight Hammerhill card stock. I bought a 100 sheets  of
assorted colors several printers ago and I am nowhere close to running out of
any of the colors which are unfortunately, pale orange, pale green, gray and
 buff (not blue). I tend to use the orange and green for white thread, and
the  buff for colored thread.  Previous printers required me to change the
setting to print on the card stock, but the current one, an Epson WF7510
seems  to handle the stock just fine without having to touch the menu.

Printing everything on colored card stock would be best (250  sheets for
$15.79 which is 6.3 cents per sheet/pattern, no plastic or additional  card
required.). But,  I concede that some teachers who are traveling with
suitcases may not want to carry card with them. Colored paper would not
represent
any more weight. One teacher told me once that she routinely uses  colored
card, or colored paper at home, but that she traveled with only one copy  of
each pattern and then reproduced them at the hotel business center. I don't
know if it is routine to be able to copy onto colored paper  at a  hotel
business center, so that may be an issue. However, if the convention
organizers were to arrange to have a package or two of colored paper at the
hotel... You can buy 500 sheets of blue paper for $9.29, (compared $.7.99  for
500
sheets of white paper) .With a $5 roll of Ace Hardware or  Walmart Adhesive,
or possibly two, you could outfit 500 patterns for less than  $20. or  4
cents a piece versus the cost to the student of $4.50 for one,  if they have
to purchase a small piece of blue film for a single pattern. The  student
would still have to travel with a used file folder or other card.  If there are
300 participants and each has a pattern that costs $4.50 in blue  film,
then total pattern costs are $1350 in blue film alone versus total cost of
$12.00 if we all use blue paper and clear film. That is a cumulative savings of
 $1338 that could be spent in the vendor's room on interesting thread and
books,  supporting authors and thread producers, not the producers of contact
 paper.

Devon