When I moved to South Africa in 1979, it was almost impossible to obtain anything for bobbin lace. The number of lacemakers was steadily increasing though, so only in 1988 did I decide that if no-one else was going to import lacemaking things then I would have a go. I knew nothing about business but I wrote to all the overseas suppliers and they were all very helpful and I had many an argument with customs officials trying to explain what bobbins etc. were used for and that linen thread was not the same as bed linen. It was only when the local agent for Batsford Books said that I had to have a proper business name for them to supply me, that I thought I was being incredibly original in choosing The Lace Place as my business name. It was a few years later that my friend Mary Hughes visited her family in Perth and from there visited The Lace Place in Hyden, that I realised that I was not original at all. She brought me back a souvenir leaflet and a pair of bobbins. I would love to visit myself. My own Lace Place though continued to take over my life and at one time was the only supplier in Southern Africa. I don't know what I would do without it now. I think they will have to carry me out feet first clutching my lace pillow.

Janis Savage t/a The Lace Place
Honeydew South Africa
www.thelaceplace,co,za