I agree.  Tatting is 3 movements to doing it.  I say the same for bobbin
lacemaking even tho technically it is 2.  once you master these movements,
you can grow into all else.  I shuttle tat and have demonstrated and held a
class where i gift kits (ready wound shuttles, etc.) at Americana Days -
historical society events.  one year i even had my picture in the paper
with my night cap stringing a dipped candle.  i have more fun and people
just love being near a new thing being done with a smile.

i just believe that a project should be fast for "trying" and if you finish
it, you get it to take home.  that way you are still thinking about the
doing.  I do this for the pillows that others play with and try out.

But so there is adult interest as food for thought, i have a Milanese motif
that i work.  When doing an Americana Day event, i have a table with 6-12
pillows with a start of different laces that caters to more folks.  I do an
owl in Honiton on a Honiton pillow, have several sizes of cookie pillows.
 I made a place mat pillow to "show" travel opportunities. I made a pillow
that started out like a honiton pillow but ended up more like a basketball
that sits nicely in a salad bowl where i have a project on the top and one
on the side (yardage).  then i got a spool from braid at the store and
topped it with a 7" cookie pillow which with an elastic cover on the pillow
keeps it together so the bobbins can hang down like icicles.  when i was
thinner, the spool went under my thighs and my thighs slipped into the
braid space so it sat on my lap securly.  you can never demonstrate all the
various opportunities for this craft.  we are only limited by our
imagination and this is on craft that affords lots of creative license.
 the variety tho will appeal to someone.

the snake is instant gratification, useful as a bookmark and because i use
metallic thread in the middle, it is appealing and eye catching.  do you
"need" it, probably not and my mother who was deathly afraid of snakes
would not appreciate it other than to look at it.  but you might be able to
take it home if you work and master the method.  yes, provide the look of
more beautiful lace making but also cater to the doer that will remember
with a token in hand afterwards.  once i was found by a youngster with
snake in hand a year afterwards.  they wanted to show me they loved having
it even after a year.  what better reward.

Hugs, Lin and the Mali
*Mistakes are beautiful.  Mistakes are part of the fun.*