Something for us all to think about when making a will I guess. My own family know nothing about lace and would probably just throw out any design sketches/samples that I had worked, so maybe I should put them all in a folder with a note to say that I would be happy for them to be made available for future generations. It is far easier of course to copy designs for needlelace than prickings/patterns for bobbin lace, so not so much of an issue but certainly a serious consideration for some of our well known bobbin lace designers/workers.

Catherine Barley
UK

Catherine Barley Needlelace
www.catherinebarley.com
----- Original Message ----- From: <dmt11h...@aol.com>

Subject: [lace] Channer Mat

If the copyright to the design resided in Miss Channer, I suppose it would
have passed to her heirs when she died.  Does anyone know who her heirs
are, and whether they have any interest in suppressing the use of her designs. Perhaps, if asked, they would feel that she would have wanted to share the
work. (They might even want to give it to  Creative Commons.)

In the event of a court case regarding who owns the  rights to a design, I
believe it is customary to present work that shows the  development of the
design through various stages, rather than to simply accept a verbal claim
to the design. As such, I doubt that anyone has a portfolio of  Miss
Channers's design development that they could use to support a claim that she developed the design. In fact, if you had such a portfolio it might actually
illuminate a different scenario, that she may have adapted it from a
traditional design or someone else's design, possibly even a piece of lace she
purchased.