I was unable to find the "tern" auction as it was over, but did see the heron
one.  I agree with Devon that the price could conceivably be for the frame
rather than the lace which is beautiful and should be appreciated.

When I
used to make small lace items in frames for friends or local sales, I would
add a label on the back which showed a lace pillow with the bobbins and add
the words "Hand Made by" and my name.  Friends that acquired them, treasure
them and even have Christmas pictures on view all year round, but when my
friends are no longer around, who knows what their ancestors will do with
them.  I had the pleasure of making them and seeing that they were
appreciated.

I like to think my family will keep my lace or at least put it
on eBay at a price that is worth the work.  Doubt that as far as my son is
concerned.  When I asked him to scan my Beds giraffe, he gave me the copies
and said "here's your big lace thing"!

I also saw the basket that Susan
Hottle posted.  What a lot of work!  Gil Dye is teaching this summer in
Sacramento at the IOLI convention, so if anyone wants to learn how to make
16th/17th Century lace, they should check out the IOLI website, Conventions,
Classes, and click on the subject to see samples of the
laces. http://www.internationalorganizationoflace.org

Classes are filling.
 AP001 Lauran Sundin's wire lace class is full, as are P202 Bedfordshire, Jean
Leader, P204 Milanese with Louise Colgan,and P208 Floral Bucks/Thomas Lester
Beds with Holly Van Sciver.  Spread the word around your lace guilds that if
you wait to enroll, you might miss your favorite teacher.

Janice

Janice
Blair
Crystal Lake, 50 miles northwest of Chicago, Illinois, USA
www.jblace.com
http://www.lacemakersofillinois.org