In answer to Jean:  We've written about this before, and I'm not going  to
the government for a definition, because Arachne archives are full of  memos
on the subject.

Every time I've checked, Antiques were defined as being items over 100
years of age.  Americans come across this when we travel abroad.   We must
declare all purchases at Customs upon return to the U.S.   We do not pay duty
(import) taxes on bona fide Antiques and  several other items, such as Books.
When we shop abroad, we get  documentation from shop keepers for items that
are not subject to duty  taxes.  We carry these items in suitcases that can
be easily opened for  inspection.

In the really serious high-dollar Antiques world, dealers and  auctioneers
would be aghast that something newer would be called an  Antique.  They know
it would be grounds for legal action.  I base  this on regularly attending
Antiques shows and auctions, and  on reading Antiques Magazine and the
monthly newspaper Maine Antique Digest  -- both respected for reporting on
Antique news from around the world,  including the U.K.

What is happening is that people who are not licensed or regulated by the
government are making claims on Ebay and other sites that are not  correct.
We are getting descriptions of Antique, Vintage,  Collectible, etc. for
just about anything.

Probably someone is selling 2014 Winter Olympics items from Sochi as
Antiques, and getting away with it!  That does not mean that the definition  of
an Antique has changed.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center