If all lace books were translated into English, why shouldn't those in English
be translated into all the other languages spoken by lace makers. Many English
speakers can't speak a foreign language so are frustrated by not being able to
read a book in say German. But I'm sure that many German lacemakers get
frustrated at not being able to read a book in English.

The latter is not as likely because very many more learn English as a second
language than English speakers learn another language. Are we arrogant or just
lazy? I suspect it's a combination of both.

Fortunately many instruction books have such good diagrams that being able to
understand the words isn't as much a handicap as it could be. If it's a case
of wanting to read the history, then the best scholars learn the language in
which it was originally written, otherwise they're getting it "second hand",
i.e. someone else's version rather than the author's.

Jean Nathan in Poole, Dorset, UK