Years ago, I participated in a workshop on building your own bolster pillow.
We started with a section of the heavy cardboard tube that carpet padding is
rolled on.  We used a good grade of carpet padding made of felt, without any
"gunk" sprayed on the underside.  The padding was rolled several layers thick,
and then old wool blankets were cut to fit, and again rolled tightly.  Finally
a cover was made to slide over all of the layers, with a drawstring on each end
to tie it off.  These were not lightweight, and when fitted in a frame or
basket, served extremely well.

Clay

Clay Blackwell
Lynchburg, VA, USA