On 11/5/15 11:19 PM, Elizabeth Ligeti wrote:

When, on the rare occasions I have to wind a skein, I
just put 2 chairs - kitchen chair types, - back to back,
and then place the skein around the back of the chairs,
and separate them, until the skein is firm around them. Then - wind, and wind, and wind...!!

It is a cheap way out if you only have an occasional
skein to wind.

It also gets you some weight-bearing exercise on days when
the weather is too nasty to go outside.  (I unwind the
skeins by walking around the chairs.)

Once I needed to wind a skein of knitting yarn in a hotel
room that was bereft of suitable chairs.  I hung the skein
on a doorknob, lifted off a few coils and laid them out
zig-zag across the room, then wound my way back to the skein
and lifted off a few more coils.

--
Joy Beeson
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/