I was taught bowing off when learning Honiton for just that reason .... The
saving of thread by it being already knotted and just wind back thread to the
required length, very useful when making Honiton when you have small pieces to
work at a time. Have never used it on any other type of lace but could be used
for all small items I think. The technique seems impossible at first but once
you get the knack it's fine, I found it easier to use loose blunt  scissors, a
good description of bowing off can be found in " Honiton Lace A Practical Guide
" by Cynthia Voysey  a very useful little inexpensive book that I used to learn
Honiton I hope it's still available as I've had mine for some years.

Sue Harvey
Norfolk UK
 from my iPad