Of course, I was writing about Sulochana in my previous post.  She was
delightful.  I shopped for bobbins and lace supplies for her here and in  the
U.K.  She sent lovely hand-made Indian treasures in return.  When  her
under-age-for-college son received a full scholarship to a  university here in
Maine, I drove there to meet him and his father and took  them by car to see
the Atlantic Ocean at Arcadia National Park - where  Cadillac Mountain meets
the sea.  The rocky heavily  forested Maine landscape near the Atlantic
probably was  very different from the landscape near the Indian Ocean!  I
offered to be a Maine contact in case of emergency, a  role appropriately taken
over by her son's roommate's  mother.  Sulochana's son went on to graduate
school elsewhere in the  U.S.  The family moved to another India location some
time after  this.  (I am deliberately leaving out details.)

Unfortunately, I have lost contact with Sulochana in the years since.   The
memory of her is strong; always sparked by the little treasures she  sent
here to her American Fairy Godmother.  She enriched my life.  I  like to
imagine she is now teaching a granddaughter how to make lace.

Jeri Ames in Maine USA
Lace and Embroidery Resource Center