Patricia,
How wonderful to hear that you have such a treasure. The village of Spania
Dolina is known for its lace. Though many of the ladies are now too old to live
on their own and have moved from the mountains down into cities to live with
their children and grandchildren.
The lace of Spania Dolina, while looking like torchon is quite unique and has
its specifics in terms of patterns, colors and number of pairs required for it
to be authentic.
The patterns were never documented, just passed down from mother to daughter
much like dowry. All patterns were worked on the same grid.
The lace was always made for sale never for personal use. A merchant would walk
the mountains once a month taking the lace to market and bringing new supplies.
Let me know if you'd like to learn more, I'd be happy to help.
Also, if you wouldn't mind, I would love to see a picture of the postcard!!

Thanks,
Dagmar Beckel Machyčková
(In gloomy Wisconsin)