Hi Devon

The point that many lacemaker today miss is that in the past lace was a
commercial activity. Dealers would supply patterns for lace that would be
fashionable and sell and lacemakers would make it using the techniques with
which they were familiar. In some cases techniques used in different countries
would be the same, sometimes different.  The value of a piece of lace to me is
according to the beauty of its design and the precision of its making, not
where it was made. Does it matter if lace is made in China or Europe if it is
beautiful? The time I was concerned was when one of my students told me she
was watching a lacemaker making bobbin lace in Spain and selling lace from a
basket next to her – but the basket contained the same pattern made by
machine! So beware!

Blow the dust

Alex