If anyone is interested I have added a second picture to my flickr page of
another sample from the same collection.
On the reverse the lace is identified as 'Old French Chenille Blonde'.
According to Caulfield's Dictionary of Needlework Chenille Lace is "A peculiar
kind of Lace made during the eighteenth century in France. The ground of this
lace was silk honeycomb Reseau; the patterns were poor, and chiefly
geometrical, filled with thick stitches, and outlined with fine white
Chenille." Actually I think it is quite a nice little design. I seem to recall
it is mentioned in the book by Mrs Palliser but my copy escapes me at the
moment.
Diana Smith
Northamptonshire