I sent this directly to Sally, but it struck me that it might help others,
too.

Jane Partridge

________________________________
From: Jane Partridge <mous...@live.co.uk>
Sent: 19 October 2017 06:29
To: Sally Jenkins
Subject: Re: [lace] Joining ends of a crown

Sally, it's effectively the same as if you were joining end to end of a
wedding garter, only you haven't got the length to play with. In this case, if
you are using a block pillow, do you have half blocks as well as full ones? If
you aim to finish the lace mid-block, you can then wrap the rest of it around
the block to be able to repin the start in front of the work you have just
done. I would, in this case, tie off the pairs individually and cut the
bobbins off, leaving lengths of at least twelve inches (in case you find you
have made a mistake and need to rewind and rectify it!) before unpinning the
end back to that on the single block.  (Hope that makes sense). You can then
lift the lace and the block off the pillow to make it easier to darn the ends
in with a tapestry or ballpoint needle and when finished darning, unpin and
slide the lace off the block. Make sure you don't get any twists in the lace
before you pin it down and join it! Once joined, you should be able to slide
it onto something cylindrical to support it whilst (presumably) stiffening
it.

Jane Partridge