Over the years the question has come up as to whether other means of discussing
matters may be better - some have tried ning, others yahoo groups - I seem to
remember it was a yahoo group that was (or was to be) set up to discuss the
details of the millenium project. It was, to me at least, always too much
bother going to find or join other sites so I stuck with Arachne. The main
'problem' with changing to another 'group' was that there were always a number
who didn't like whatever group it was for whatever reason - would never use
yahoo, facebook, etc. So we stayed with Arachne which continues to serve its
purpose well; we've surmounted problems like how to view photos (even when the
photo site we were using went down permanently). It may be a little slower in
response, but there is always someone to answer a question, no matter how often
it is asked. But then, we're lacemakers, we're used to the slower pace of life
(vbg).

Where facebook is concerned, I did join bobbin lacemakers for a while but left,
and find lacemakers (which was set up so that any type of lace can be
discussed) far more friendly and helpful. Photos are shared of latest projects,
as well as the "where have I gone wrong" photos, which are helpful to
beginners. The availability of easy translation has encouraged non-English
speaking lacemakers to join in, something we've never quite achieved on
Arachne, although the welcome has always been extended with the suggestion that
there will usually be someone on the list who can translate, and we don't mind
if the standard of English isn't brilliant.

It's good to see so many of the 'long in the tooth' Arachnes are still with us.
I joined somewhere around July 1995, about three months after it started, after
it was mentioned (I think by Jean Peach) on either uk.rec.crafts or
rec.crafts.textiles.needlework - it was through sites like that that I
discovered that computers had uses for things not just work related! -
surprisingly some of the rec.crafts groups are still going, too.

Is it time to start considering whether we are going to do/have something
special for our 25th anniversary in two years time? (We could set up another
yahoo group and then ignore it, in good Arachne tradition - vvbg).

Jane Partridge

Jane Read wrote...

I've recently joined the facebook group 'Bobbin Lacemakers' and I have
to say, I think Arachne is much, much more useful. It is sooo much more
informative.

The facebook group seems to be mainly photos with occasional short
questions & answers, its not the place to have a 'proper' informed
discussion.

Long may Arachne continue.

Best wishes,
Jane