He probably would have met up with Kaethe Kliot (please double check
spelling of her first name) from Lacis in Berkeley.  It is known as Lacis
now, but was first called The Lace Place.  I do not know when the name
changed precisely offhand, but you should be able to search that easily
enough.  Kaethe passed more than a decade ago, but her husband is still at
the business.  I would be happy to meet you there sometime.  From where you
live, it is easy to go by BART.  The shop is less than a block from the
station.

     There was a guild in San Francisco, although they were fairly
insulated.  It was a tight friendship group and unlikely he would have been
invited into the fold.  Only one member survives, and she is a bit North of
San Francisco.
     The next closest place would have been Village Spinning and Weaving.
This is a shop in the adorable Dutch settlement of Solvang.  They closed
their retail last summer, but are still around and selling online as they
sell off their stock.

     This generation of lacemakers is rapidly becoming exctint in our area,
so I would not delay in interviews if you wish to make them.  Please
contact me offlist if you need me to make any introductions.

Kim