It seems to me that lacemaking provides many things to many people. Small
children can learn simple Torchon patterns quite easily. Adults with no
particular math skills may make lace their whole lives without ever finding a
need to go dig out their trig tables (yes, I know that dates me, but you know
what I mean). However lacemaking is the only craft I’ve every participated in
where, at the advanced levels, I keep running into engineers and math whizzes
and rocket scientists. Honestly! Rocket scientists! Well, I suppose they have
to do something with their spare time.

My anecdote about this, is a lacemaker I know, a math whiz. Many people have
problems with the Flanders ground, and for various reasons Flanders is often
considered advanced. She asked “what is Flanders Ground”, took one look at a
picture, said “right you are” and proceeded to start making perfect Flanders. I
think it is that intuitive understanding that leads these people into
lacemaking and makes the more complex laces more desirable for them.

Now, before everybody goes ballistic - I am not saying that you can’t make
Flanders or Binche or any other of the more advanced laces if you don’t have
good math skills. I’m just saying that people who do have good math skills may
be drawn to that type of lace.

Adele
West Vancouver, BC
(west coast of Canada)'