Because I get the digest form I can't respond directly, so must copy and
paste. Liz R wondered about a village in France where the old lacemakers
had all lost their eyesight - fact or fiction?. I'm just now re-reading
"Take the Children," and loss of eyesight due to poor light and general
poor working conditions is certainly a main point of that book. Nowhere
have I seen, though I have often wondered, how much of the lost eyesight -
English children or French elders - was due to malnutrition and lack of
sunlight, fresh produce, vitamins, fresh air, and general health and
hygiene. In addition to poor light and working on black lace, of course.
I realize I haven't addressed Liz's question about the particular French
village - it would be interesting to hear if someone else can address that
too.
Sally in western Oregon, USA